| 26 August 2011
9/11: WORLD SAFETY AND SECURITY DAY
SUPPORT THE CAMPAIGN!
In view of the sad event of September 11, 2001 which left nearly three thousand dead in its wake and brought untold sorrow to the entire world family, vis a vis the current threats to world safety and security, we wish to propose as hereunder stated:
1. That September 11 of each year be adopted and marked as WORLD SAFETY AND SECURITY DAY, starting from 2012.
It is to be noted that since the September 11th, 2001, the world has witnessed terror attacks of immense magnitude in Madrid, 3/11, 2004 leaving 191 people dead and 1, 800 wounded; London, 7/7, 2005, leaving 52 dead; Mombai, 26/11, 2008 leaving 174 dead, and almost countless in hotspots nations like Pakistan, Iraq, Afghanistan, Yemen, Egypt including Nigeria with Boko Haram holding sway. This is in addition to the many planned attacks that have been foiled over the years.
And what is more, it has been reported that over 3000 attacks have taken place since the 9/11.
ADOPTION OF SEPTEMBER 11 AS WORLD SAFETY AND SECURITY DAY (WSSD)
On September 11, 2001, the history of the world was permanently altered with the bombing of the Twin Towers of the World Trade Centre in New York and the Pentagon, Head Quarters of the United States Department of Defence in Arlington County, Virginia by the Islamic militants resulting in the death of nearly 3000 citizens of the world, with the U.S. losing more of its nationals than any nations whose citizens were affected.
Ever since that incident, the security of the world has been imperilled such that the whole of humanity goes to bed now, half awake and half asleep, with fear of possible attacks from terrorists. These increasing threats from terrorists organisations, with alqaeda being in the lead (side by side the Talibans) of these feral creatures have taken their tolls on the global security budgets.
In fact, and as it’s already well known, the current campaign in Afghanistan led by the U.S. is directed at the Talibans who in more than one way are the perpetrators of terrorists acts in that country, and teaming with Alqaeda, albeit indirectly, have wrought immeasurable havoc to humanity.
As terrorists activities rage on, on global scale, global security consciousness and concerted efforts in tackling these threats have to match the large scale global threats from terrorists. Thus, the level of global security awareness being envisaged by Vigilance can only be attained globally through its coordination by the UN using its good offices and relevant Agency to set aside September the 11th of each year as the UN World Safety and Security Day.
We would also like to offer here that the proposed UN Day may as an alternative be declared and known worldwide as WORLD SECURITY DAY without adding the word SAFETY to it.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
1. To conscientise the global community and raise security awareness amongst them.
2. To educate the global community about the importance of safety and security so they can report threats to relevant authorities.
3. To recruit/enlist security conscious campaigners in work places, schools, homes, colleges, the universities, corporate environment, sporting events, churches, mosques, amongst trade unions, commuters, etc.
4. To put appropriate machinery in place to host the World Safety and Security Summit (WSSS) at a time to be determined by the Security Council making recommendation to the UN on the envisaged global event.
5. To enlist young persons of the world who will actively dissuade their peers/friends alike from joining terrorist organisations, and where they are adamant, report such persons to security personnel/agencies.
6. To internationalise the fight against threats to national/international security
7. To raise awareness of safety and security issues amongst youngsters and enlist them in the fight against threats to national and international security.
In view of the aforesaid, we therefore on behalf of our great organisation propose the adoption of September 11 as the World Safety and Security Day (WSSD) to be marked globally each year, starting from 2012.
We thank you for supporting this campaign.
SIGNED: MANAGEMET, VIGILANCE-THE SECURITY MAGAZINE.